This semester Gran Tierra completed very important programs in the education sector. This was achieved by working together with municipal authorities and community organizations. Gran Tierra firmly believes that education plays a key role in sustainable development and growth since it allows the individual to gain knowledge for the benefit of all.
From this perspective, through the construction and repair of schools, sport complexes and the refurbishment of classrooms and school cafeterias, the communities located in the direct area of influence of our operations have the opportunity to once again have access to education. The following activities which deserve to be highlighted during this semester, include:
Santana Block (Partner ECOPETROL, areas of influence include the Municipalities of Mocoa, Pto Guzmán and Piamonte Cauca).
- Construction of a computer room for the Hamlet of Palmera, Municipality of Piamonte Cuaca. The project was completed to the satisfaction of the community. The community will receive eight computers given by the Office of the President of the country under the program “Computers to Educate”.
- Construction of the cafeteria in the school in the Hamlet of San Pablo, Municipality of Piamonte Cauca.
- Partial support of 25 students towards scholarships to attend technical and advanced education institutions throughout the country.
- During the month of April, along with SENA Cauca and the Mayor’s Office of Piamonte, the Technology in Electro Mechanical Maintenance program began at the Guayuyaco Agroforestal Center. Currently 27 youths from the region are participating.
- 3 students of the Rumiñawe indigenous group are being supported to attend the Guillermo Valencia School which is located in the Municipality of Villagarzón. An additional 2 students are being supported to attend secondary school in Mocoa. These students are from the indigenous group located in la Floresta Española.
- During the month of February 400 school kits were given to schools within the area of influence of the Santana Block (Mesón, Patria, Santa Lucia, Pto Limón, Jauno, Villagloria and Pasera).
Chaza Block (Partner SOLANA, area of influence Municipality of Villagarzón, Putumayo).
- School desks were provided to the Maria Auxiliadora school located in the Hamlet of el Porvenir, the Co-Ed school located in the Hamlet la Paz, the rural school located in the Hamlet of Bajo Eslabón and the Silvio Romo Caicedo School of Villagarzón.
- Provision of 800 school kits for the schools impacted by the operations of the Chaza Block.
- Transportation support payments for 35 students to travel between their homes located in Alemania, Champañagt, Canangucho and el Mesón Hamlets to the Guillermo Valencia School.
- Completion of the cafeteria of the school in the Hamlet of Champañagt, Municipality of Villagarzón.
- Completion of the cafeteria of the school in the Hamlet of Alemania, Municipality of Villagarzón.