Gran Tierra’s Flagship Environmental Initiative in Collaboration with Conservation International
Gran Tierra Energy in partnership with international conservation NGO, Conservation International is undertaking a significant environmental initiative in the Putumayo Region of Colombia.
Conservation International is a non-government organization, well known for implementing and managing nature conservation projects around the world.
On January 30, 2017 after several months of planning and discussion, Gran Tierra and Conservation International signed an agreement to launch NaturAmazonas, a five year reforestation and conservation program to be implemented by Conservation International in the Putumayo.
Gran Tierra will contribute 32,000 million Colombian Pesos to NaturAmazonas over five years.
This initiative has been developed with the participation and support of the Colombia Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development as well as with the participation and support of Corpoamazonia.
It is our hope that the initiative will benefit not only the natural environment but also will bring economic and social development to the Putumayo region, in the Post Conflict era.
This initiative emphasizes Gran Tierra’s long term commitment to responsible resource development as well as our firm belief that our activities and presence should coincide with a healthy environment and prosperous communities.
- 1,000 hectares of land reforested
- 100 families to be trained in techniques for collecting and preparing botanical specimens, who will receive economic benefits for their research work
- 200+ local families to benefit from establishing sustainable projects generating food products
- 18,000 hectares of secured and maintained forests that adjoin the restoration areas
- 100 people to be trained in tree nursery techniques, who will then serve as trainers in the following phases
- 500 eco-efficient stoves to be installed to reduce firewood consumption
For more information on NaturAmazonas we encourage you to visit the Conservation International website.