Gran Tierra has a simple objective with regard to safety: ensure that no one gets hurt as a consequence of our operations.
Actions that Gran Tierra undertakes to eliminate or reduce safety risks include:
- Implementing proven safety management systems, procedures and tools with a goal of driving accident and incident rates to zero.
- Working closely with contractors on our sites and insist that they also implement effective safety management processes.
- Setting annual goals for safety performance. Oversight and accountability of our performance set by senior management and the Board of Directors.
GTE’s safety programs and practices include:
- Implementing emergency management software for newly acquired facilities.
- Psychosocial risk preventive activities such as reducing workplace stress and maintaining a supportive workplace environment.
- Using a risk-based approach to direct resources to address risks where they are the greatest. The approach includes dozens of targeted audits and inspections, “Job Safety Analysis Meeting Reviews” with contractors and safety walk-arounds to different work sites.
A Framework for Safe Operations
“Mision Vida“, GTE’s proprietary system for safe operations, is a guide to safe work practices. Its foundation is based on a framework for changing attitudes about safety by recognizing the impact that one’s current mental and emotional condition can have on their perception and decision-making. This understanding then leads to increased safety-consciousness on the job. […]
The Golden Rules: A Safety-Based Video Game
While the topic of safety is unquestionably a serious one, Gran Tierra’s safety team recognizes that effective learning can happen in engaging, and sometimes fun, environments. In the past, these topics would have been addressed with presentations and meetings, but recently the Company has created learning-focused video games as an additional method to teach workers […]
The GPS Room: An Additional Set of Eyes on Safety
In GTE’s Bogotá office, engineers are constantly on the lookout for potential hazards and opportunities to improve safe work management practices, watching live feeds across GTE’s field operations from 50 different cameras streaming 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the “Getting Performance Standard” (GPS) room. The GPS room has been at the […]
Monthly Safety Contractor Meetings
GTE is committed to seeking continuous improvement in workplace and contractor safety. The Company establishes clear expectations for how workers manage safety risks, and helps its contractors improve their safety programs through daily supervision and safety meetings to focus on practices and performance. GTE’s Monthly Safety Meetings are an important tool for educating contractors about […]
Emergency Response Training
In adherence to GTE’s Emergency Response plan, the Company carries out periodic emergency response training exercises. In 2022, the Company conducted 408 tabletop or in-person emergency simulations which assessed the Company’s preparedness to deal with various emergency scenarios.
HSE’s Safe Driving Program
GTE works hard to eliminate unsafe conditions and practices at all of its facilities to protect workers and maintain the integrity of its operations. Once produced, the Company’s crude is sold on site or transported to a different location for sale, often by road on trucks. This means that thousands of truck trips, often hundreds […]